About Our Parish
Corpus Christi Parish, established November 21, 2010, has the history and heritage of seven Catholic parishes of the McKeesport area.
Saint Peter Parish was originally a mission of Saint Philomena Parish in Pittsburgh which was served by the Redemptorist Fathers. On November 5, 1848, Saint Peter's became an independent parish. A new church was dedicated September 12, 1875. In 1993 Saint Peters was merged into Saint Martin de Porres Parish. In 2007, the church building was closed.
Saint Mary German was created August 7, 1887 to serve German speaking immigrants. A new church was dedicated April 26, 1908. In 1993 Saint Mary's was merged into Saint Martin de Porres Parish. The church closed in 1993 and was torn down in 1997.
Holy Trinity Parish was founded in 1895 to serve Slovak speaking immigrants. A new church was dedicated in 1911. The parish thrived for 100 years. In 1993 Holy Trinity was merged with Saint Mary's German, , Sacred Heart and Saint Peter to form Saint Martin de Porres Parish. in 2007 Holy Trinity became the only church building for Saint Martin de Porres. However, because of declining numbers, the decision was made to merge with Saint Mary Czestochowa and Saint Pius V to form Corpus Christi Parish. A closing Mass was celebrated in October 2010.
Saint Stephen Parish was created for Hungarian immigrants. The new church was dedicated on August 25, 1901. A painting of Saint Stephen the King was donated by the Emperor of Austria-Hungary, Franz Josef. Because of the declining population in the McKeesport area, Saint Stephen Parish was suppressed in 1994 and became part of Saint Pius V Parish. The church remained open until 2002; the closing Mass was celebrted on July 7, 2002.
Saint Mary Czestochowa Parish was created in 1895 for Polish immigrants in a combined church and school building [now Propel School - McKeesport]. The present church was dedicated on May 2, 1954. In 2010, with the merger of Saint Martin de Porres and Saint Pius V, Saint Mary Czestochowa Parish became Corpus Christi Parish.
Saint Pius V Parish was created in 1903 and a new church was finished in 1904. In 1927 a new church building was completed, however in 2010 a snow storm caused heavy damage to the church and the decision was made to close the building and merge with Saint Martin de Porres and Saint Mary Czestochowa to become Corpus Christi Parish.
Sacred Heart Parish was founded in 1906 for Croatian immigrants. A new church was completed in 1927. Because of declining membership, the parish was merged into Saint Martin de Porres Parish in 1993. The closing Mass was celebrated on Septembear 23, 2007.
Saint Peter, Saint Mary German, Holy Trinity, Saint Stephen and Sacred Heart were merged over the years to form Saint Martin de Porres Parish. In 2010, Saint Martin de Porres was merged with Saint Mary Czestochowa and Saint Pius V to form Corpus Christi Parish.
Looking to the Future
Corpus Christi Parish is one of eight parish in District 4 of Vicariate 2. The other parishes are Saint Jude [Wilmerding], Saint Robert Bellermine [East Pittsburgh], Saint Angela Merici [White Oak], Saint Patrick [Christy Park], Queen of the Rosary [Glassport] and Saint Michael the Archangel [Elizabeth].
"On Mission for the Church Alive!" is the diocesan process which seeks to form vibrant parishes and effective ministries. Each parish has a team. Our "On Mission for the Church Alive!" team: Paul Drost, Joann Faix, Wayne Fleckenstein, Lisa Yost and Mary Lynn Zoscak. In 2016, meetings were held at each parish to explain "draft models" and ask feedback. 2017 is a year for more prayer and study - especially by the members of the teams.
Keep up to date with "On Mission for the Church Alive!" by visiting www.onmissionchurch alive.org.
Then click on "Parish Models." Then click on Vicariate 2, District 4.